Pages

Featured Reviews

Kingdom Titan Class The Ark Kingdom Voyager Class Rhinox Kingdom Commander Class Rodimus Prime Kingdom Leader Class Galvatron Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus MMC R-12 Cynicus

Friday 8 April 2022

Transformers Legacy Leader Class G2 Laser Optimus Prime

Been quite busy recently, can't seem to find time to take pictures despite having few new releases. But I think this deserves a review

So far, I've been avoiding Legacy releases (core, deluxe, voyager) and I intended to do the same about him. But I figured I try and give him a chance

In Package


The artwork is gorgeous and very 80s-neon poster vibes. The box is just like recent SS86 Leader where it doesn't have a window. But unlike SS86, the box itself is made out of more solid material 



They can change the front design but the back is basically the same as previous lines


I think I read somewhere the lack of plastics on the packaging is to reduce plastic usage (aside from the big chunk of plastics that we're aiming). 
While I can understand the direction, it gives the release a somewhat 'cheap' look IMHO. Worse than that, the windowless box they used for the three smaller classes made the packaging even more fragile and prone to damage (not to mention people stealing the figure/accessories)

Alt Mode


Now moving on to Laser Prime and his trailer


The tanker is just a bit more solid than Earthrise Optimus Prime but not to the level of Rodimus's trailer. Finishing wise is clean with some detailing and painted rims.


One of the 2 manhole covers is actually a blaster and can be removed. I almost missed it until I saw in the instructions


The tanker can be opened to form a battle station, just like the original Laser Prime. The transformation is quite simple but the end result is quite okay (even without the missiles and disc gimmick)



As you can see, aside from the blaster, he almost comes with an energon sword and energon axe which can be stored inside the tanker.


The overall design and paint scheme follow the original Laser Prime. However I think the flame deco follows Bayverse Optimus Prime which was even adapted by RtS Laser Prime before. 


The alt mode is quite solid and almost everything tabs together. The paint job is clean and nicely done (and yes, painted rims)


This really reminded me of Maketoys Battle Tanker, a welcoming sight after the Titan Return version


The grey parts especially on the tanker is quite boring. Amnore details would be nicer



Never had a reason to buy Siege/ER version of Megatron before but I think I needed him now


Overall Laser Prime is not as wide as Megatron (funny how the bulkier one is actually just a voyager)


Robot Mode


First of, the it's not a remold of ER Optimus Prime. While the lower body is generally the same, the body itself is totally different.

Transformation wise, it's quite fun and not as simple as expected.


The overall deco and paint job is nicely done and clean. However the thighs and shins could use abit more detailing and paint.


Considering the back design is following the character design, he's clean without any kibble. From the front, you can't see any hollow parts but from the back...


He comes with an energon sword and axe...which I think is a miss. Instead of these 2 weapon, I think it'll be better instead if he comes with just a sword but a longer and bigger one. This translucent plastics weapons made it look like a cheap toy.


Articulation wise, he's generally the same as most figure out there. But the shoulder design, it is good and bad and the same time 

The arm is detached from the shoulder top so you'd have a wider range of movement. Aside from the hands going all the way up, as the shoulder pieces are separate and without joints.

Also you can't tilt the head downward due to the shape of the head and short neck joint.




The combined mode of the weapons doesn't make it better...


Personally I prefer this blaster mode even though the shape is not intimidating enough



2 extra gimmicks are the the flaps hiding the compartment for his missiles, and his matrix 



While the battle station mode is a nice tough, I couldn't help but feeling the same as I did with ER OP trailer. They're considerably smaller.




You can't have one without the other. Prime need his Megatron. Made an impulsive decision to buy Gen Select G2 Megatron. Size wise he scale pretty well with Laser Prime.




So far I haven't started any G2 lineup. My post US G1 are from Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory. Should I start hunting the other G2?

On separate note, there's been quite a lot of people went for stolen figures, be it for personal collection or to do reviews. 

I was asked about it and to me it's easy. You may think it's okay to steal your friends design and produce it. Or to steal his idea and create them. Maybe it is okay, maybe it is not. But you definitely can't go to your friend's house and take his stuff (or have your friend's brother take his stuff and sell to you. I had received these items myself from my supplier as he was given by his supplier in Vietnam and don't want to keep it. Till this day, I never took any pictures of them to post online. And definitely not doing review



1 comment: