Pages

Featured Reviews

Kingdom Titan Class The Ark Kingdom Voyager Class Rhinox Kingdom Commander Class Rodimus Prime Kingdom Leader Class Galvatron Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus MMC R-12 Cynicus

Sunday 25 September 2022

Transformers Takara MPG-02 Getsuei - Pictorial Review

It's been quite sometime since I review a Transformers figure so let's us see Takara latest release, MPG-02 Getsuei.

I had planned on reviewing the team since Shouki but there was an issue and I had to wait for quite sometime for the replacement. By the time I got him, don't really felt like doing review anymore

In Package



The box follows the same design as Shouki, also the size. So that helps in terms of storage. My box came with a damage side which surprised me given how much thicker Takara's carton box compared to Hasbro.




Alt Mode


Getsuei transform into EF65-1000 Electric Locomotive just like his G1 version. He comes with a gun, 2 pantograph (comes detached in packaging), a joint part and 2 rails.


Given the involvement of TOMIX with the MPG releases, this HO scale compatible release perfectly capture the design of the model.


The detailing is nicely done despite the size. The paint is even and without any smudges (at least on my copy)


It's still new so I have problem telling which side is supposed to be the front. Since both sides transform differently, will need to start remember


The rail that comes with Getsuei (right) is different that the one that comes with Shouki. I'm guessing this is how it is in real world.


Is it just me or the underside of Getsuei's rails looks to have a storage space for a big sword?


I'm not a train aficionados so I'm going to accept that these are how they scale together.



Given the different rail size between these 2 (and maybe the future releases), you can't properly use rail given with other figure.

Robot Mode

Before we proceed, let's talk transformation. Out of the box, the tabs and pegs are almost seamless so I took quite sometime to follow the steps in the instruction. 

The instruction is not very clear for some sequences but you should be able to figure it out. Despite having quite a lot of small tabs, I manage to transform him perfectly without any breakage or stress mark. So, be patient.

Overall, I enjoyed the transformation a lot. It's quite impressive that they manage to the slim-looking train expend in robot mode (it's like MP44 chest/cab width in robot and alt mode)


 I personally like the blue color used. Not too glossy.


Getsuei is not as clean as Shouki. There are considerable amount of kibble on his legs which could bother some people. It is important to tab the kibble properly to avoid the legs feeling flimsy (which they aren't, if tabbed properly)


Officially, that's how the front side (or is it the rear?) is in robot mode, to try to have some resemblance to his G1 design (without half the train hanging at the back)



You have the option of folding it down if you prefer.


As far as the head sculpt goes, I prefer this compared to Moon Studio version.



While the design seems a bit busy, there's almost no issue with his articulation. The butterfly joint and the swivel on the arm kibble improves the articulation a lot. However, the head and ankle's range is quite limited.


I don't feel any fragility of the material used despite having transform him for few times, which is a good news.


He is generally as tall as Shouki but more slender. It still impressed me with the width of the robots compared to the size of the alt modes.

While the scale follows the G1 Scale Chart, I'm using them as part of my Generation Headmaster's Lineup.

For now, I'm not exploring the combined mode. Trying to be as surprised as I can after the 6th release

No comments:

Post a Comment