Pages

Featured Reviews

Kingdom Titan Class The Ark Kingdom Voyager Class Rhinox Kingdom Commander Class Rodimus Prime Kingdom Leader Class Galvatron Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus MMC R-12 Cynicus

Friday 14 October 2022

McFarlane Megafig Omega Spawn - Pictorial Review

This is something that took quite a short time between reveal and release. And honestly, I don't enjoy the unplanned purchases. But looking at the first online image, yeah, this is right up my alley.

Presenting, Omega Spawn, one of the oldest Hellspawns.


Right of the bat..that's a waste of space. It obviously is. The box could've been shrunk down half the size which would've made shipping cost lower. Not to mention the storage space for those who's keeping the box.



The artwork on the back is gorgeous. Forgive me as I don't know from which comic it is, any comments on that would be much appreciated.


One other thing that was frequently discussed since the revealed was how small he is, despite being a megafig. We will see the comparison later.

The aesthetic of Spawn universe's characters generally suit my taste but there were few that are a must have for me. Violator and Raven Spawn were the case. Now, him. 


The sculpted details on him is phenomenal, something that I would expect from a statue. Not only that, the detailing are nicely done, top to bottom, as you can see on his legs, body and hands.



The headsculpt is menacing and sinister enough for my liking. The overall paint applications are clean without any smudges.



Stability-wise, he's good despite the big and heavy straw cape(?). In fact, he's easier to stand compared to Gunslinger and She Spawn.



Articulation wise, he's no worse than most McFarlane figures. I want to say he's better than the rest of Spawn's megafig but given his size, I don't think he should be compared to those. He has standard range of motion aside from slight limitation on his shoulders (going up) and head (side to side) due to his cape on top of the shoulders.


Now the size issue. This is how he is compared to the first megafig, Violator. The size difference is too big and  you can't try to justify it with the detailing Omega Spawn has. 

If you follow from the earliest megafig to the newest, you can see how small they had become OR the more simplified sculpt. Overtkill is a good example. Considerably big megafig but simplified sculpt and finishing. At least that's how I see it.



Generally there's one image of Omega circulating since the reveal which is [large] Omega Spawn sitting on the throne with Spawn facing his captor. I think most people expected him to be that big compared to Spawn. 

Personally, I think the size difference works [or at least, not a deal-breaker]. I do have issue with the price tag he comes with though.




I don't have picture of this but can he use Spawn's throne? Not really as the throne is quite low. Not to mention the cape.


Out of all the Spawn releases I have in my collection, I got to say he's the best in terms of sculpt. Not that the other lacks the detailing, just that the design really resonated with me personally. 

If you can look past the Price VS Size issue, I think he's a good addition to your collection 

No comments:

Post a Comment